Thursday, April 19, 2007

Mean Girls on the bus

The girl spoke in a hushed wisper but not hushed enough to keep others from hearing. "I don't like her nose."

Another girl asked "What did you say?"

"I said, I don't like her nose!"

"Who's nose?"

The victim squirms as the accusing finger points at her face..."Her nose!"


My beautiful, happy (usually), sweet, kind and lovely daughter got off the bus and cried all the way home. It wasn't until about 30 minutes later at home, that I got the story of what had happened. I tried to comfort her with a story from my childhood when someone had said something nasty to me. I held her in my arms and told her how God had made her so perfectly and just the way He wanted her...lovely. When I asked if I could pray for her she nodded. I layed my hand on her little heat and we prayed that Jesus would wash away all the unkind works that were lies. That He would bath my little one with feelings of acceptance and love, with truth. Hours later, I watch her as she plays at the park with her brother. She runs like she is care-free and has no burdens. Laughing and giggling. Thank you God. Help me be the mommy that my children need...help our home to be a safe place of comfort and restoration. Help me to forgive like my daughter. Justice is yours God.

He heals the heartbroken
and bandages their wounds.
He counts the stars
and assigns each a name.
Our Lord is great, with limitless strength;
we'll never comprehend what he knows and does.
God puts the fallen on their feet again
and pushes the wicked into the ditch.
Psalm 147:2-6 message Bible


13 comments:

Jen said...

I have always hated how these wonderful creatures we call children can be so amazingly wonderful on one hand...and so cruel on the other....

Lord help us all as moms to teach our children to reject the sinful nature when it rears it's ugly head...and embrace the simple wonders of being childlike...

We love you Tirzah, exactly like God made you...and we have all been mercilessly teased...but look how good we all turned out anyway!!! GOD is GOOD!!!!

Shari said...

It is so hard when our kids experience pain. I'd rather be the one hurting than my babies....but then I remind myself that God loves them even more than I do.

We've been on both sides of this. Kids often want to be the funny one and get a laugh but can be so cruel in doing so. In grade nine one of our children went to some classmates to ask for forgiveness for some mean things they had said years earlier. (This took a lot of courage - but they knew to share their faith with others - they had to take ownership for their wrong doings...I'm very proud of them!!)

There is no place like home with a Family who loves you!!

Rhonda said...

I was amazed how young the mean words started amongst little girls. Sarah came home in tears in grade two because she was being teased for wearing the wrong barettes. Our hearts break as moms when our little ones feelings are hurt. We just want to shield them from everything mean and hurtful.

You are a wonderful mom, Holly. Bless you. This was just a great opportunity to pray with your baby girl.

Williams Family Blog said...

Holly,

Its awful that kids can be so mean to each other. I hear lots of stories from Cliff....it breaks my heart.

Thankfully Tirzah has a wonderful Godly Mom who knew just what to do.

Praying Tirzah has a better ride on the bus.

Karen

Williams Family Blog said...

P.S I love the The Message. It is one of my favourite translations of the Bible.

Tamatha said...

Holly,
What a story...I teared up. All I could think of was all the wonderful photos I saw of her on your blog or face book and how beautiful she is!:o)
It is wonderful that you are able to pray with her this way as things are happening in her life. She won't need the "years of ministry" that I have!:o)

Amy said...

Due in part to my baby belly, and in part b/c of who I am, I seem to be wiping blindly at the tears streaming down my cheeks. Oddly enough, my Hannah has been here sitting on my knee for a while b/c the boy next door said that "he wasn't her friend" and that "he never wanted to play with her again"... I do wonder sometimes...

You did an amazing job at being mom and comforter. Bless you for this. She will grow to be a wonderful woman of God thanks to a great example.
May peace fill you this evening.
Love, Amy

Marsalie said...

Oh Holly! Your story brought tears to my eyes. Tirzah is such a beatiful girl and it breaks my heart to think that those girls were mean to her. I hope to be able to follow your example as Shaylah will undoubtedly experience similar situations in her future.

Rhonda said...

Be sure and vote for

The Best Hobby Blog at the Bloggers Choice Awards:

http://www.bloggerschoiceawards.com/blogs/show/1577

Williams Family Blog said...

Ok, am I missing something? Whats with Rhonda and all this advertising for the Bloggers choice award. I think I need to go and check it out.

Amy said...

Dear Tirzah,
I'm going to go to her house and tell her mommy that she is mean. She is not nice to you. I am not pleased. She might have the debil, not Jesus.
I think you have a nice nose. I like it. I have freckles too. Everyone thinks they are cute.
Hannah

(Holly, I told Hannah this story, and this was her comment..she was not happy)

Anonymous said...

So heart warming. It is amazing the natural instinct in a mom to nuture and protect huh? Like a big mad momma bear.
That was a great prayer of surrender.

Shaun and Holly said...

Thanks girls!! I showed Tirzah your comments...she giggled when she read Hannah's!! ;o) She is fine now, really. God is a healer! (Do you think,the older we get, the harder it is to forgive?)