Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Flower Power

When I read about Jenny's kids planting seeds it was contagious and today I have done some planting of my own. I am hoping that I haven't done this too early but....it doesn't look like we are going to get any frost...And if we do, I will just re-plant. I have nothing to loose and EARLY flowers to gain!!
(image found here)

Four O'Clocks:
-annual
-fragrant trumpet shaped flowers open in the late afternoon. Tolerant of poor soil and heat. Hummingbirds love them! Great varieties of red, yellow, crimson, white and pink with many molted, stripped, veined and speckled in contrasting colours appearing on a single flower.

Poppy Pizzicato

-perennial
Semi dwarf plant produce array of red, white, orange and pink flowers adorned with large leafy stems. Flowers are excellent for cutting.


I also have 2 varieties of Sweet Peas (grown for the blooms, not peas) soaking for 24 hours....will be planting them tomorrow afternoon.

Ahhhh....I love gardening!

8 comments:

Roxanne said...

Good choices

Rhonda said...

Are you SURE you love gardening?? I think that you are in denial!! LOL!

Rhonda

Shaun and Holly said...

Ok....lets all just call it a "healthy addiction"!!! (-remember it has been a VERY long winter!!!!)

Jen said...

House work, gardening, it's all the same to me...that's why God created "Holly's"....to keep His flowers blooming!

redeemed diva said...

I so want to plant seeds outdoor--and we just had a blizzard! bummer. Hey, I see that your next post is Leslie Phillips-I love her! Remember the cassette album cover-it was pink and she was in front of the chain link fence wearing black. I thought that she was so cool (after Margaret Becker and just ahead of Robyn Pope,of course)

Amy said...

oooh...I so need to plant sooN!!

Maureen said...

Ok Holly I just may attempt to plant something anything.
So what would be good to plant in a shady area?Not alot of sun at the front of my house.Northern exposure.

Shaun and Holly said...

Check out this link for their top 10 favorite perenials (that means they will return each year) that love the shade: http://www.perennials.com/topten2003.html

My favorite would be:
Daisies
pansies
bleading heart (spring flower)
Hostas
ornamental grasses

My favorite annuals (must replant each summer, but are usually more colourful) for the shade are: Impatients.
Hands down winner. They come in so many colours. They love the heat and the shade and they spread out so much and cover about 4 times the original size.