Apple Squash Soup – makes 10 cups
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped (I only had chives, from my garden...so I used those)
- 1 large clove garlic, pressed (i used 2)
- 8 cups of butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced (i didn't have any...so used a small container of left over mashed potatoes. Laugh if you want but it all tasted great!)
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock (I only had beef...worked out just fine)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried
- (I added 2 tsp. curry)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup half and half cream
- Splash of Sherry, or two or three… (i didn't have any...so went with out)
- Heat oil over medium heat in a stock or large pot. Add onions and garlic, cook on low for 3-5 minutes.
- Add squash, sweet potato and apples. Stir to combine. Add next 5 ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until squash is very tender.
- Puree soup. Return to low heat and add cream and sherry, let simmer for 20 min. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Ladle into bowls and top with fresh herbs and aged white cheddar, if you can find smoked cheddar that would be even better!