Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I have been in a meal making Rut...

...so I went through my recipie tin and found some old favorites that I had forgotten about. Here is one that we used to have all the time. It is meat free and even the kid's like it! It is a pretty and fancy looking dish.

Spinach Lasagna Twirls

12 uncooked lasagna noodles

1 container (15 ounces) non-fat Ricotta cheese (I used 500 grams)

1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinich, thawed and sqweezed to drain (I used 300 grams)

1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

dash of pepper

1 jar (28 ounces) spaghetti sauce (I used 650ml)

Heat oven to 350. Cook and drain noodles as directed on package. Mix remaining ingredients, except pasta sauce. Spread a thin layer of sauce on bottom of rectangular baking dish (13x9x2inches).

Spread 2-3 tablespoons of the spinach cheese mixture over one side of each noodle. Carefully roll up noodles. Cut in half diagonally. Pleace cut side down in pan. Spoon remaining pasta sauce over noodles. Cover and bake about 25 minutes or until heated through. 

Serves 4

5 comments:

Jen said...

I think i may have to try this, it would be one my family would really enjoy...I could maybe make it on the weekend for later in the week, does it freeze well?

The Hippie Moose said...

COOL!! You can make this one for World Vegetarian Day on October 1st!!

Shaun and Holly said...

Jen,
I am not sure...haven't frozen them before...they get eaten up right away!! :)

Shaun and Holly said...

Hippy M,
You make me laugh...you just do! :)

Shaun and Holly said...

Jenny,
This may be a very stupid question but I am very inexperienced when it comes to freezing food.
What do you make things in. I have casserole dishes and Pyrex. I was under the impression that if I froze things in these dishes and then put them in the oven the dish would crack and break. Does this mean I need to use metal pans, etc? Help! :P