Potato Broccoli Soup
It was -28 degrees Celsius today...Brrr!!!! A perfect day to hibernate. While the fire roared away I made a pot of soup. Just for Shaun and me. (Since our girl despises soup and our boy despises broccoli.) There is something so satisfying about making soup and then enjoying it. I had one very happy and warm belly, let me tell you! *hee-hee*
Here is the recipe:
- 1 small onion(s)
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 3 cups potato(es)
- 2 cups Chopped Broccoli (1 lb.)
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 package Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese (8 oz.)
- 2 cans Chicken Broth (14 oz.)
- Chop potatoes and onion.
- Whisk together flour and 1/3 cup chicken broth until smooth, set aside.
- Combine remaining chicken broth, potatoes, broccoli, and onion in a dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Gradually stir in flour mixture. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in milk and shredded cheese. Cook mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until cheese melts.
- If desired, top each serving of soup with 1 teaspoon shredded cheese, 1 teaspoon bacon pieces and 1 teaspoon chopped green onions.
I mashed some of the soup with a potato masher as well as I like a creamer soup. It was delicious and I will definitely make it again. Next time, I will try it with some crumbled bacon. Mmmmm....